Bohemia, New York (July 2018) Data Device Corporation (DDC) introduces its 16-channel, 48VDC, 238A Solid-State Power Controller (SSPC) offering programmability, system health diagnostic and prognostic data, and high power density in a compact and ruggedized military-grade form factor. DDC’s 48VDC SSPC Power Distribution Unit (RP-2016371X) distributes and controls power to up to 16 independent 48 Vdc loads, with 8, 10, and 25 Amp maximum capacities, and provides significant Size, Weight, Power and Cost (SWaP-C) savings.
Highly efficient, DDC’s SSPCs enable significant SWaP-C savings compared with mechanical switches, breakers, and relays, saving space for other components and expanded functionality. These compact, high density power control solutions enable a 7X power-to-volume and 5X power-to-weight savings, compared with larger mechanical alternatives, enabling reduced space consumption and fuel costs, while extending mission range. Additional SWaP-C savings are realized through a 70% reduction in power dissipation, along with energy savings through intelligent load shedding and prioritization. Inventory costs can be saved, as these PDUs can be programmed to support multiple platforms and varying mission requirements.
The RP-2016371X employs DDC’s mission proven technology, with more than 1,000,000 nodes installed on military and aerospace systems since 1988, including on the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV). DDC SSPCs have a 25X improved MTBF compared with mechanical switches, breakers, and relays, with moving parts which are more prone to failure. They also provide real-time health and diagnostic data, enabling improved mission uptime, safety and longevity through preventative and automated maintenance. Additionally, DDC’s industry leading smart power management solutions enable network control, programmability, and autonomous operation — simplifying vehicle control and freeing crew members’ time, so they can concentrate on mission critical tasks.
- High Reliability
- 25x Improvement in MTBF, Compared with Mechanical Switches, Breakers, and Relays
- Very Rapid Short Circuit Deactivation Protects Wires, Loads, and SSPCs
- Improved Mission Safety and Longevity
- Greater System Protection
- I²t and Instant Trip Overload Protection Avoids Nuisance Trips
- Greater Controlled Rise/Fall Time for EMI Reduction, Reduced Inrush Currents
- Reduced Inductive Transients During Turn-Off
- Provides Prognostics/Diagnostics Data
- Enables Preventive and Automated Maintenance
- Power Profiling and Analysis
- More Efficiency
- 7x Improvement in Volume Density, 5x Improvement in Weight Density, Compared with Mechanical Switches, Breakers, and Relays
- Crew Off-loading
- Energy Savings Through Load Shedding and Load Prioritization
- Cost Savings
- Weight and Integration Savings
- Programmability Allows for Minimum Inventory
- Minimized Maintenance and Support
- Field Upgradability Provides Protection from Obsolescence
“The RP-2016371X, 48VDC PDU is based on DDC’s field proven SSPC multi-channel architecture and provides a mission ready power control solution, offering significant SWaP-C savings and advanced functionality”, stated Steve Rood Goldman, DDC’s Product Line Manager.